CHILDREN (Age 3-Grade 5)
Jesus said, “Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” Matthew 19:14
- Registration for fall 2021 will begin July 1.
- We are in the process of constructing a new, third "atrium" (classroom) for CGS. We are offering atrium tours the week of June 7-11, 2021.
Faith Formation classes are held from September through mid-May. Students must be 3 years old by September 15 of the fall in order to enroll for the school year. Registration is held each spring/summer. When you log in to Realm to sign up, you will see the available choices for days and times.
For kindergarten through age 9, you have a choice of CGS or regular Faith Formation classes.
CATECHESIS OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD
CGS is open to ages 3-9.
Level 1 for 3–6-year-olds
New Level 2 for 6–9-year-olds
What is Catechisis of the Good Shepherd all about? Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) provides an environment for our young children to encounter the beauty of God in a learning space prepared just for them. Each session is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes and includes hands-on lessons on the Mass, scripture, and sacraments of the Catholic church. Each week, children will be provided with an environment in which to discover God through hands-on work, prayer and song. Each lesson is connected to a specific moment in scripture or Mass and is meant to bring them closer to the Good Shepherd.
Want to help our program grow? Consider being a CGS Catechist!
- Level 1 training will be in fall 2021.
- Level 2 training will be held this summer.
- Our parish will cover the training cost (two-year commitment required). Email Rosie ([email protected]) for information or the registration links. Encourage your friends to register too!
FAITH FORMATION CLASSES FOR GRADES K-5
Classes are held most Wednesday evenings from September through mid-May. Students meet in the Education Center at 615 Washington on Wednesdays from 6:15–7:30 PM in grade-level groups. Homeschooling is an option during registration.
- Students enter through the glass playground door on 7th Street between Washington and Clay.
- If your child will be absent, call 277-3036 as soon as possible but no later than 6 PM class night. Unexcused absences will be followed up by phone for the safety of your child.
- If Cedar Falls Schools cancels or dismisses early due to weather, Faith Formation classes are automatically cancelled. In the event of inclement weather after the school day, we use KWWL, Facebook, and/or email to let you know about cancellations.
- Handbooks: Catechists Parents (to be updated)
- Sacrament of First Reconciliation A child’s First Reconciliation is taught and received during the winter of second grade. Children learn the importance of confessing their sins and receiving forgiveness. Group reconciliation occurs in January.
- Sacrament of First Holy Communion During the winter of second grade, children begin to learn and prepare for their First Holy Communion which they receive in the spring after Easter.
Visit our Faith Formation Resources page for more helpful links to assist your children. New to our parish and need to register your child? Register your family with the parish and contact the Parish Office regarding Faith Formation.
Thank you for supporting your child by joining our Faith Formation Program. We are here to encourage and guide your child and your family. If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions or would like to help, let me know.
Rosie Guerrero, Director of Religious Education
277-3523 ext 136