Spring Bible Study
THE PROPHECIES OF HOLY SATURDAY
Lower level of St. Patrick Church
Thursdays at 6:45 PM following Eucharistic Adoration in the church, which is 5:30-6:30 PM)
All are welcome. Bring a bible, any bible.
At the liturgy for the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday night, we begin in darkness and recall the history of our salvation by reading some important bible passages, from creation to the Resurrection of Jesus, the culmination of the whole story. It is then that we traditionally initiate new members into the Church. The problem is that there are seven long passages, which we generally call the “prophecies” and, together with baptisms, confirmations, and the rest of Mass, these readings prolong the service beyond most people’s endurance! We are permitted to reduce the readings to three, which is what we do at St. Patrick. Nevertheless, it can be helpful for our spiritual lives to review the whole story of what God has done for us and pay closer attention to all of those important bible passages.
Accordingly, the Thursday night Bible Study sessions this spring will focus on those readings. We can thus reflect on them without having to do them all at once! After the seven “prophecies,” we will also reflect on the readings for the Mass of the Resurrection.
Spring 2018 Dates
- February 15 Genesis 1:1-2:2. The Six Days of Creation
- February 22 Genesis 22:1-18 and Exodus 14:15-15:1. Sacrifice of Isaac & Passage through the Red Sea
- March 1 No session
- March 8 Isaiah 54:5-14 and Isaiah 55:1-11. The Promise of Redemption and Come to the Water!
- March 15 Baruch 3:9-15, 32-4:4 and Ezekiel 36:16-17a, 18-28. God’s Wisdom and God Will Recreate Us
- March 22 Romans 6:3-11 and Mark 16:1-7 (and parallels). He Is Risen and We Are Baptized into His Life