Faith Formation classes are held most Wednesday evenings from September through mid-May. Thank you for supporting your child by joining our Faith Formation Program. We are here to encourage and guide your child and your family. If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions or would like to help, let us know. If you missed our September parent meeting, read our notes for information on drop off, pick up, and more.
Tracey Ryan-Wiering, K–6
277-3036 ext 18
Sarah Burke, Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) Coordinator, Preschool
New to our parish and need to register your child? Contact our Faith Formation Coordinator, Suzy, in the Parish Office at 319-266-3523.
PRESCHOOL PROGRAM (CATECHESIS OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD)
Jesus said, “Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” Matthew 19: 14
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) provides an environment for our young children to encounter the beauty of God in a learning space prepared just for them. Each session is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes and includes hands-on lessons on the Mass, scripture, and sacraments of the Catholic church. Each week, children will be provided with an environment in which to discover God through hands-on work, prayer and song. Each lesson is connected to a specific moment in scripture or Mass and is meant to bring them closer to the Good Shepherd.
What is Catechisis of the Good Sheperd all about? Here is a blog from St. Patrick Cedar Rapids and a video from from St. John the Evangelist Parish in Indiana. Explore the idea of becoming a catechist or assistant by reading more about the program here. For more information, contact Sarah Burke.
During the 2018-19 school year, sessions are held in the Clover Patch Preschool building at 802 Main Street with three class times:
- Tuesday 9:00-10:15 AM
- Wednesday 2:30-3:45 PM
- Wednesday 6:15-7:30 PM (during Faith Formation)
KINDERGARTEN–GRADE 6 PROGRAM
Students meet in the Education Center at 615 Washington on Wednesdays 6:15–7:30 PM in grade-level groups. Students enter through the glass playground door on 7th Street between Washington and Clay (the entrance to the Multipurpose Room).
- Calendar for 2018-19
- Class schedule of topics by grade K, 1, 3, 4 2 5-6 new schedules coming soon
- Access our K-6 material for fabulous ideas for your family or to review what we do in class. K 1-6
- Visit our Faith Formation Resources page for more helpful links to assist your children.
- Sacrament of First Reconciliation A child’s First Reconciliation is taught and received during the fall of second grade. Children learn the importance of confessing their sins and receiving forgiveness. Group reconciliation occurs in November.
- Sacrament of First Holy Communion During the winter of second grade, children begin to learn and prepare for their First Holy Communion which they receive in the spring after Easter.
- If your child will be absent, please call 277-3036 as soon as possible but no later than 6:00 PM the night of class. Unexcused absences will be followed up by phone for the safety of your child.
- If Cedar Falls Schools cancels or dismisses early due to weather, Faith Formation classes are automatically cancelled. In the event of inclement weather after the school day, we use KWWL, Facebook, and/or email to let you know about cancellations.